Revised project idea (just a brief paragraph):
Donald Trump’s voice has the power to shape international relations, send stock prices up — or down — and galvanize the American public. I’ve been watching how Donald Trump is using the twitter platform of unfettered communication now that he’s commander in chief and I have been intrigued by the constant feed of derogatory remarks surrounding trump and his behavior on such and major social media network. Now I do not claim to have any reason to be in a political or Twitter arena as I have no major role on Twitter or any formal education on politics but I am intrigued on the new data I just pulled from Trump’s twitter account and it is begging to be examined.
By breaking down President Trump’s Twitter persona with LIWC (Linguistic Inquiry and Word Count) I feel that the story of our President’s voice on Twitter may reveal some insight on his character.
The variables that are being examined:
- Analytical Thinking: How much of what Trump says is has the critical component of visual thinking that gives one the ability to solve problems quickly and effectively?
- Clout: How much of what Trump says is power-driven, influence, sway, leverage and control?
- Authenticity: How much of what Trump says is genuine and real?
- Emotional Tone: How much of what Trump says has a positive or negative tone?
- Affect: How much of what Trump says has a positive or negative affect?
- Cognitive Process: How much of what Trump says is indicative of cognitive process such as insight, certainty etc.
- Drives: What drives his statements; achievement, power, risk or reward
- Time Focus: How much of what Trump says focuses on the past, present or future.
- Personal Concerns: How much of what Trump says references work, leisure, money, home, religion, death (dead)
- Exclamation Points: How many times does he use exclamation points and “All Caps” to get his point across?
- Informal Language: How many times does he use Swear words and Filler
- Biological Process: How many times does he talk about sex and the body.
What does all this data have to do with a person’s moral character? Character is the mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual. What we say about others reflects on our own character. Specifically, when we speak unfavorably of others, it not only hurts the person our words are aimed at, but it also damages our credibility and reputation in the process. When our words persuade others to our point of view as to the faults and shortcomings of someone who is not present, we are taking unfair advantage of that person. This holds true whether we’re talking about an individual, a group, or a business.
A person that is considered to have good character exhibits attributes such as integrity, honesty, courage, loyalty, fortitude, and other important virtues that promote good behavior and habits. Moreover, character marks who we are as a person, and it also highly influences the choices that we make in our lives.
I have read and seen numerous studies pertaining to language/sentiment analysis and how they reveal the personality of the President and whether his language and overall context of his tweets are positive or negative but I have found nothing that reveals this man’s character. I feel that with these variables the data will tell a very interesting story.
Where you will get the data:
How you will access the data (specifically will the data be “live” tied to an API, or will you capture the data into a file and use that)
I will use a .csv file
How you will visualize the data
ASTOR PLOT in D3
The final form of the data (physical, website, interactive thing)
What software, hardware, libraries, websites, etc. you plan to use
What do you need to learn to make it happen
D3.js Aster Plot Chart
Timeline between this moment and October 20th at 9am
9/15/17: Nail down topic, start processing data, pick a chart
9/22/17: Finish processing data, finalize chart choice begin organization & start code dive-in
9/29/17: Code and Data Entry
10/6/17: First comp to Prof Miller
10/13/17: Work out bugs
A sketch (hand or computer) of the proposed project. So either a screen from the site, a sketch of the physical thing, a wireframe of the interface, etc:
First Choice: http://bl.ocks.org/bbest/2de0e25d4840c68f2db1
Second Choice: https://bl.ocks.org/mbostock/4348373